Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If you pay rent to someone your living with,is that person…

Customer Question
If you pay rent...

If you pay rent to someone your living with,is that person responsible for claiming income earned and pay taxes on it.

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year is this for?

The past 8 years about 15,000 a year.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

No that is it.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Tax
5/29/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 24 days ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. In brief, if you have a traditional rental arrangement (lease, etc.), then yes, the income paid for rent should be reported as income. I will provide more on this subject in the next thread.

---------------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank You.

Now, if you are cohabitating as boyfriend/girlfriend, etc., it is not necessary that the other person report the money received. Again, if the living arrangements is considered a legitimate rental arrangement, yes the funds should be reported as income by the person.

--------------------------

In closing, if you do not require further assistance with this matter, I ask that you take the time to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.