Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question regarding tax law. I live in California.

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a question regarding tax law.

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in California

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

In short, I am a US citizen who has lived outside of the country for 30 years. I recently returned, and filed my federal taxes in April, online. I have not filed for the last 10 years.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's probably enough to start ok

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/29/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to out site!
Can you please post your actual tax question?

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
I have been contacted by the IRS to verify my identity. When I filed online, I did not include info from my previous year's tax return because I didn't file. My income has been very low (less than $10K) for the last 10 years, and I own no assets. I filed this year because I intend to live in the US and reenter the system. My questions are: 1) What period of time is up for discussion with the IRS? 2) What penalties do I realistically face and 3) Any advice on how to approach this?
Phone call session started

That is understandable because there were many cases of tax fraud when information was stolen and used to file false tax returns.
So - because you have not file for long time - the IRS wants to verify and double check your identity.

1) What period of time is up for discussion with the IRS?

In most situations - the IRS will verify past three years. For high income individuals - that may be up to 6 years.

If there were tax fraud - no limit.

2) What penalties do I realistically face and

If your income was low - and you were not required to file OR you did not have any tax liability - there is no penalty.

3) Any advice on how to approach this?

I am not sure what you are trying to "approach"... If you are not able to e-file - for Any reason - you may simply print and mail your tax return to the IRS.

The IRS contacted me shortly after I filed online. Now I need to call them to verify my ID. I cannot supply information from last year's return because I didn't file. Based on your answers, it seems like I have nothing to fear. That helps me quite a bit. Thank you!

I would not worry about such identity verification as that is well explained by your circumstances.
Whether you were required to file in prior years - that is a different issue.
I see that you requested a phone call .
Let me know what is the best time to talk.

Now would be best, ***** ***** later this afternoon.