Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need to know how to report w/h from our minister who is…

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know how to report w/h from our minister who is retired but is paid housing. I know that he pays no income on his provable housing but he does have to pay SECA. He has asked me as treasurer to w/h so that he won't be burdened with a large amount when paying his tax liability. How do I report this w/h on the 941 form?

Accountant's Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?

That's why I am contacting IRS, or I thought I was.

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year is this for?

2018

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Tax
5/29/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 26 days ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Please be aware that JustAnswer is not affiliated with the IRS.

You should NOT report housing allowance as wages - and should not withhold from such payments.
A minister who receives a housing allowance may exclude the allowance from gross income to the extent it's used to pay expenses in providing a home.

The fair rental value of a parsonage or the housing allowance is excludable only for income tax purposes.

The minister must include the amount of the fair rental value of a parsonage or the housing allowance for social security coverage purposes.

Same rules are for retired clergy - if you are a retired minister, you can exclude from your gross income the rental value of a home (plus utilities) furnished to you by your church as a part of your pay for past services, or the part of your pension that was designated as a rental allowance.

Questions?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I knew all this and it was stated in my question, so there was nothing new in your answer.. Also, I had cancelled this and did not tell them to go ahead.
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 25 days ago

Your original question was - I need to know how to report w/h from our minister who is retired but is paid housing.
The answer in short - You should NOT report housing allowance as wages - and should not withhold from such payments.
Please please be considerable - and communicate with customer support if you are willing to cancel subscription.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
This has been cancelled!!!!!