Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I haven’t filed my taxes for 2017 what are my options

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
5/28/2018
Tax Professional: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 2 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

If you have a filing requirement, you should file as soon as possible.

I'm going to assume from your post that you haven't filed for an extension. That would have given you until October 15th or so. By not filing for an extension, and not filing your tax return by April 18th, you became what the IRS refers to as a "non-filer."

So let's start at the beginning.

Do you have a filing requirement?

If you are an employee (you received form W-2 showing wage income) or if you are retired (you received form 1099-R showing pension income) and you were paid more than the combined amount of your personal exemption and standard deduction, then you have a filing requirement.

If you are a single filer, your threshold is $6,350 (standard deduction) plus $4,050 (personal exemption) for a total of $10,400.00. If you made more than that, you have to file a tax return.

if you made less than that but you had taxes withheld from your paycheck, you should file to get a refund.

If your filing status is head of household, your threshold increases to $13,400.00.

If you are married and you file a joint return with your spouse, your threshold is $12,700 plus $4,050 for each of you: $20,800.00.

If you are self employed and made more then $400 you have to file a tax return.

If you don't owe any tax then there will be no penalties. If you owe taxes they will assess a late filing penalty and a late payment penalty, and will also charge you interest on the balance from April 18th.

So find out if you have a filing requirement or are due a refund, and get your taxes filed.

Same goes for your state tax return. I don't know what state you're in but most of us live in a state with a personal income tax. Only 9 states don't impose an income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and Wyoming have no income tax. (Although New Hampshire and Tennessee impose a tax on dividend and investment income.)

Hope that answered your question. Feel free to ask follow up questions here at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.

I’m in Virginia

Here's the filing requirement for Virginia:

Virginia individual income tax applies to income received from all sources for Residents and Virginia sources for Nonresident individuals. A return must be filed if you received Virginia source income and meet the following general requirements:

Generally, if you have to file a federal return, you should file a state return as well.