Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Do you have to file if you don't owe any taxes and can prove…

Customer Question
Do you have to...

Do you have to file if you don't owe any taxes and can prove it??

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year is this for?

2015. 2016, 2917

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

That would be great, thanks in advance

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Tax
5/28/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 21 days ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. My response will be provided to you in the next thread.

-----------------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

If you meet the minimum income requirement to file, regardless to if you owe or not, you are required to file a tax return. If a person does not file a tax return, the IRS the IRS typically will file the return for the taxpayer,, which is referred to a Substitution for Return (SFR). However, if I am not mistaken, the IRS has suspended the SFR program, at least for now anyway. In general, whaen an SFR is filed, the taxpaer does not get anything but the standard deduction. This may result in the taxpayer seemingly owing a large amount of money, when they really don't.

----------------------------------

For general information on the income requirements to file for TY 2017, refer to the following link.

https://www.thebalance.com/are-you-required-to-file-a-tax-return-3192868

-----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

I am leaving the computer for the night. If you require further assistance, I will respond to you when I return to the computer. On the other hand, if I have answered your question(s), I ask that you take the time to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant