Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What is the rule on capital gain exception concerning

Customer Question
What is the rule...

What is the rule on capital gain exception concerning selling your house.

Accountant's Assistant: What are the assets or property for this capital gain?

Home of 34 years.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

We are both over 60 years old.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
5/25/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

That is based on section 121 ...

26 U.S. Code § 121 - Exclusion of gain from sale of principal residence

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/121

-- the exclusion amount is limited by $250k for Singles and $500k for married couples filing jointly.

-- to qualify for the exclusion - the property should be owned and used as a primary residence at least two out of last five years before the sale.
Let me know if you need any help with determination.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.
Fast and clear answer. Thanks.

Appreciate your warm words.
Be sure to come back for all your tax related issues.