Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What is the cost basis for the units sold. This is a public…

Customer Question
What is the cost basis...
What is the cost basis for the units sold. This is a public partnership. The K-1 has a sales schedule show you how to calculate the cost basis. I am confuse with the negative # on column 6 (Adjustments to Basis) -8,678. I am not sure am I add column 5 and 6 together. is the cost 2019 or 19375. see attach
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Tax
5/25/2018
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 29 days ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and ran the calculation for you.

So, you are going to report the following:

Schedule D - Sales proceeds -$1895, Basis $10,697, Adjustments -$8,678, Loss - $21,270 (calculated as -$1,895 - $10,697 - $8,678)

On Form 4797 report $2,015 in Part II as an ordinary gain of $2,015.

That makes your overall loss, $19,255 which equals the $120 proceeds less $10,697 purchase price less the $8,678 adjustment.

Let me know if you have any questions. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
why sales proceed negative 1895. how did you get it

You need to calculate that based on what your calculated capital loss is.

Basically, you have a total loss of $19,255. ($120 - $10,697 - $8,678). That loss needs to be distributed between ordinary gain and capital loss.

You have $2,015 of ordinary gain.

In order to get your capital loss - ordinary gain ($2,015) = $19,255, then you know your capital loss is $21,270 (check - $21,270 - $2,015 = $19,255)

For Schedule D, you know your basis is $10,697 and your adjustment is -$8,678 and your loss is $21,270. So, you need to plug the sales price to property calculate out that loss.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
If I put the negative 1895 in schedule D proceed column the amount would not be agree with the 1099-B which will be question by IRS.
Do you use Lacerte to do your taxes? I cannot find where you can put this 2015 ordinary in Disposition schedule
Yea, it will not receive to the 1099-B. The 1099-B doesn't take into account the ordinary gain from the 751 issues.
I do not use Lacarte.
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 25 days ago

Hey! I just wanted to check in and see if you needed anything else. If not, please leave a rating so I can get credit for helping you out. Thanks!