Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Tax adviser filed taxes incorrectly using US-Spain treaty.

Customer Question
tax adviser filed taxes...

tax adviser filed taxes incorrectly using US-Spain treaty. Tax office says not valid and sent me a bill for 2 years a big amount, I cannot pay what are my options

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Valencia

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None, received notice a few days ago,

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Funds taxed were US IRA distribution

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2018
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 21 days ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

I've been working in international taxation for over 31 years, and am very familiar with the various tax treaties. I use them extensively with the firm I work for.

Please give me a few minutes to type my response.

Pensions and annuities (from non-government sources) are addressed by Article 20 of the US-Spain Tax Treaty. The treaty states in paragraph (1)(a) "pensions and other similar remuneration derived and beneficially owned by a resident of a contracting State (Spain, in your case) in consideration of past employment shall be taxable only in that State (again, Spain)"

So under the treaty, the IRA distribution, even though paid from the US, was only taxable in Spain.

Your solution is to file amended US tax returns and claim a refund for the US taxes paid on the IRA distribution. You would file a Form 8833 with the amended tax return. This Form tells the IRS that you are electing to take advantage of the tax treaty, specifically the article allowing you to exclude the pension payments from taxation in the US.

If you amend your US returns for the two years, you can use the refunds to help pay the Spanish tax on the income.

Unfortunately, based on my experience, as long as you are receiving the pension payments from the US, the US trustee paying the pension will continue to withhold on it, and will report it to you on a Form 1042-S. So each year you will have to file a Form 1040-NR nonresident tax return, report the pension income, then deduct it under the Treaty, and claim a refund for the withholding tax.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great week!

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Roger, I get distributions from my Investment IRA with Charles Schwab, therefore taxed on the distributions. However the Spanish Tax office has sent me a demand for payment of back taxes for 2013 and 2015. In their statement they state that my distributions are NOT pension, annuity or insurance, and have decided that it falls under ‘other income’ and isn’t covered by the tax treaty on double taxation!! How about article 24? Regards Chris
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I am not home but can call later about 21:00 Spanish time via my US Skype number
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 17 days ago
Under the US Spanish tax treaty, they Define what a pension is. And it does include IRA distributions. So I'm not sure how they can claim that. You should tell them you want to speak with someone who has substantial Authority, as defined by the treaty. I will find you that article.Regardless, under the treaty it is only taxable in Spain. So what you do is you claim a refund for the withholding in the United States, so you pay zero tax in the United States, and then Spain gets all of their tax on the income.
It really won't matter if Spain says that it's a pension or not. Because you are claiming the treaty benefits and excluding the income for United States tax purposes. And clearly, in the United States and IRAs considered a pension. So the IRS won't give you any problem with that.
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 12 days ago

If you request a premium service - preferably email - I can discuss this with you and show you how to file an amended return, or assist you with the actual filing.

Please let me know.

taxmanrog
taxmanrog