Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question about claiming dependents if we are

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about claiming dependents if we are unmarried but our relationship is over.

Accountant's Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?

No i have not

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

Yes that we both lived in our residence and I lived in that residence for that tax year before leaving. She decided to just claim everything without me knowing

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2018
Tax Professional: Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 19 days ago
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can assist you. The general rule of thumb is if the dependent lived with you for more than 6 months, and if you provided more than 50% of the support. See the attached link and hit the blue button. Please let me know if this answers your question.

Regards,

Fred

https://www.efile.com/claim-a-qualifying-child-as-a-dependent-tax-deduction/

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
It does not seem to answer my questions clearly. I meet all the requirements that I should be able to claim all 3 dependents as well. She already did taxes claimed them all without any of my tax information or income and took the whole refund.What can I still do?
question - you provided more than 1/2 support of the dependents? If dependents are claimed on two separate returns, the IRS will examine both parties to see who is entitled to claim the dependent.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
ok even though they paid her out already I still can do my filing?
I hope I understood correctly.

You won't be able to e-file if the dependents were claimed on another return so you will have to paper file, but yes. Before you do, just be sure that you are the rightful claimer of the dependents.

Hello. Just wanted to see if you had any follow up questions for me. If finished, please take some time to rate my service. Thanks!

Fred Rook
Fred Rook