Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife passed away Feb 25, 2018. How do I handle her on my…

Customer Question
My wife passed away...

My wife passed away Feb 25, 2018. How do I handle her on my 2018 IRS taxes??

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year is this for?

Tax year 2018

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2018
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you want you can file married filing jointly for 2017 (tax return filed this year) and if you do not remarry by the end of the year you will still be able to claim married filing jointly for 2018 (return filed in 2019) as surviving spouse.

Is there any estate that has to be taken care off (executor filing estate tax return, asset distributions to beneficiaries and such)?