Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We received a letter from the IRS about errors on our 2016…

Customer Question
We received a letter...

We received a letter from the IRS about errors on our 2016 return. We have completed the corrections necessary and returned the signed letter and payment to them, I now wish to correct my State return for those same errors. My SSAN is###-##-#### What is the best way to correct the 2016 California return. Gary C. Hutchens

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year are you filing for?

2016

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

The error was omission of some data from the 1099s.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Tax
5/1/2018
Tax Professional: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 19 days ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Well, in the old days you'd file an amended return, form 540X.

The FTB has done away with that form and instituted a new procedure. You will now prepare a NEW form 540. At the very top of page 1, just below the number "540," is a check box with the instruction "Check here if this is an AMENDED return." So you check the box, fill out the form with all the new information, and then, use the additional, new form, Schedule X:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2017/17_schx.pdf

Mail your completed 540 and Schedule X to the address on shown on side 5 of form 540, line 111 (if you owe) or line 115 (if you don't).

That's it.

Hope that answered your question. If so, please don't forget to rate this answer. You can always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer!

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney