Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a physician who needs 25 hours of CME credits every…

Customer Question
I am a physician...

I am a physician who needs 25 hours of CME credits every year to maintain my Missouri license to practice, to pubish books and maintain a website for profit "Ask a Neuropsychiatrist." I travelled from St Louis to Chicago to earn those hours, and while returning home after the educational conference, car met with an accident, due to horrible weather. Damage to car almost $8,000. Can I deduct it in my tax return?

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year is the deduction for?

2018

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Tax
5/1/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 21 days ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - that damage may be deducted as a casualty loss.

As long as not compensated by your insurance.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 20 days ago

Generally, you may deduct casualty and theft losses relating to your home, household items, and vehicles on your federal income tax return. You may not deduct casualty and theft losses covered by insurance, unless you file a timely claim for reimbursement and you reduce the loss by the amount of any reimbursement or expected reimbursement.

A casualty loss can result from the damage, destruction, or loss of your property from any sudden, unexpected, or unusual event such as a flood, hurricane, tornado, fire, earthquake, or volcanic eruption.

Casualty losses are deductible in the year you sustain the loss, which is generally in the year the casualty occurred.

Individuals are required to claim their casualty and theft losses as an itemized deduction on Form 1040, Schedule A.pdf, Itemized Deductions.

For property held by you for personal use, you must subtract $100 from each casualty or theft event that occurred during the year after you've subtracted any salvage value and any insurance or other reimbursement. Then add up all those amounts and subtract 10% of your adjusted gross income from that total to calculate your allowable casualty and theft losses for the year.

Report casualty and theft losses on Form 4684.pdf, Casualties and Thefts. Use Section A for personal-use property and Section B for business or income-producing property.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor