Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My father passed away last January, all his assets were in a…

Customer Question
My father passed away...

My father passed away last January, all his assets were in a trust and I have trusteeship over them, however while I was trying to get payment on his life insurance policy; the company required me to have a new trust account and number. Do I handle the taxes on two separate tax forms due to the different tax ID nos or may I use one form for all and do I use my name for the new trust which I placed under the same name as the old trust?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I am not using an accountant, I am using turbo tax.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
4/13/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

We need to verify who is named as a beneficiary on his life insurance policy ?
If you personally is named as a beneficiary - that payment will be to you personally.

If the trust was named as a beneficiary - the payment will be to the trust.

If there is NO beneficiaries - payment will be to his estate.

.

Life insurance proceeds paid to you because of the death of the insured person aren't taxable unless the policy was turned over to you for a price.

This is true even if the proceeds were paid under an accident or health insurance pol-icy or an endowment contract.

However, inter-est income received as a result of life insurance proceeds may be taxable.

Let me know if any clarification needed.

Check was made out to the new EIN to the new trust of which I am trustee, when I file the taxes for the new and old trusts I would use my father's and for the old and the new EIN with my name for the new trust?

Life insurance proceeds paid to you because of the death of the insured person aren't taxable.

So most likely - no need to include that amount on the tax return.

Please verify.

Unless you have any reporting form - you do NOT report that payment regardless to whom it was made.

If you have two trusts - I am not clear why - but that is possible - you will deposit that payment to the bank account for THAT trust.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.