Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How do I enter w-2 info on 1040 for married filing separate…

How do I enter...

How do I enter w-2 info on 1040 for married filing separate in a community property state

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

How do I enter the w-2 for married filing separate ? Do i enter half of each persons w-2 on each separate return ?

4/13/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you are filing separate tax return using MFS - married filing separate - filing status.

You will enter ONLY your W2 - full amounts.

After that you will include Form 8958 to determine the allocation of tax amounts between married filing separate spouses

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8958.pdf

On that form - you allocate your wages between you and your spouse

and add your spouse's wages and allocation.

Let me know if that helps.

I entered my entire w-2 on the return and then filled out 8958. The information on form 8958 does not transfer over to the 1040. So how do I report the information.

You need to verify if you correctly entered all information.

Be sure that you provide allocation on form 8958.

You will specifically mark that you are in the community property state.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Where is that marked? Does it then change the 1040 and report income and tax correctly ?
Phone call session started

Sorry - I may not advise how to handle in your specific tax preparation software - that may be a question for their tech support.
What we need to have line 1 for wages allocation - use column B to allocate to yourself - put your SSN

total amount allocated to you from line 1 - should be transferred to YOUR form 1040 line 7.

Then - you will do the same with income tax withheld on line 11 - use the same allocation principle - and the amount allocated to you should go to form 1040 line 64.

Let me know if you have other items to allocate.

I think what you are telling me is that my software should take the information from form 8958 and properly transfer it back to the 1040. If it is unable to do that, I should make the income adjustment on line 21 and the tax wh adj on the tax payment form.

That is correct

See page 10

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p555.pdf

Each of you must complete and attach Form 8958 to your Form 1040 showing how you figured the amount you are reporting on your return. On the appropriate lines of your separate Form 1040, list only your share of the income and deductions on the appropriate lines of your separate tax returns (wages, interest, dividends, etc.).

So - there should not be adjustments on line 21 - but line 7 should have ONLY allocated wages.