Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We Have always filed married jointly but now I don’t have…

Customer Question
We Have always filed...

We Have always filed married jointly but now I don’t have any income how do we file this year

Accountant's Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?

Have always filed married jointly but now I don’t have any income how do we file this year

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

We always filed married jointly because I used to work but I haven’t worked in so long now I don’t have any income taxes do we still filed married jointly or should we be filing him as head of household

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year is this for?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/13/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

-------------------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

In brief, it doesn't matter that you do not have income, you are still able to file married filing jointly. The return will just show the income of your spouse. SEE BELOW:

-------------------------------

What is the Married Filing Jointly Status?

You use the Married Filing Jointly status to include all you and your spouse's income, exemptions, deductions, and credits on one tax return. Even if you or your spouse had no income or deductions, you can still file a joint return.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.efile.com/tax-deduction/income-deduction/marriage-tax/

----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

I feel the answer was fair although I would prefer to know what the law requires and if changing the filing status is an audit alert.

As you are legally married, and living together, even though you do not have income, he cannot file Head of Household. Being considered married on the last day of the year allows for a married couple to file married filing jointly, or married filing single. Head of Household is not an option for him.

I guess we will just file everything the way we used to.

Again the options are either married filing jointly or married filing separately.

Please take the time to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.