Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question related to line 305 on the personal tax…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question related to line 305 on the personal tax return I have a granddaughter who is residing with me. 2016 tax return I was able to claim her as a dependent.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I filed 2017 return and they did not allow the credit to be claimed

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

She turned 18 in November of last year and my understanding is that because she was still 17 during the majority of the tax year I could still claim her as a dependent. Is this correct?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Ok waiting for response.
4/13/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 4 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Thank you.
No, I can't justify $74 for a quick answer

You may be able to claim this amount for one other person if at any time in the year you met all of the following conditions at once:

• You did not have a spouse or common-law partner or, if you did, you were not living with, supporting, or being supported by that person.
  • You supported a dependant in 2017.
  • You lived with the dependant (in most cases in Canada) in a home you maintained. You cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you.

In addition, at the time you met the above conditions, the dependant must also have been either:

• your parent or grandparent by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption; or
  • your child, grandchild, brother, or sister, by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption and under 18 years of age or had an impairment in physical or mental functions.

Any call offer is site generated, just ignore it.

I am not sure that helps me.
I am married. Living with wife whom I did not claim as dependent
2016 granddaughter was considered eligible
2017 not.
Again she was born 1999 and turned 18 in November 2017, she should have qualified YES ? NO?

NO because she was over 17 at the year's end

H&R Block info I had stated that if they're 17 going on 18 as long as your child was 17 years old at some point during the tax year they're considered as dependents and can be claimed for the entire year and do not have to be pro rated. She wouldn't be considered a dependent in 2018.
I find this a bit frustrating of course

I will see if I can find that Block advise.

https://www.hrblock.ca/kids-growing-still-dependants-2/Who is a dependant?A dependant is someone in your life who relies on you for support. For income tax purposes, a dependant will usually be a relative either by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption. Depending on your situation, a dependant might be your spouse or common-law partner, child, grandchild, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew. Most of the time, your relative also has to be a resident in Canada to qualify as a dependant.How does claiming a dependant work?Claiming a dependant on your tax return will give you access to a tax credit, and reduce what you owe to the CRA. It’s important to understand how these credits work before you claim them. Some are based on age or relationship, or on the person’s health. Some credits also adjust for your dependants’ income level.My children are over 18. Can I still claim them as dependants?Lots of parents continue to financially support their children after they turn 18. Here is a quick rundown on whether or not they can still be claimed:
•They’re 17 going on 18: As long as your child was 17 years old at some point during the tax year, they’re considered dependants and can be claimed for the entire year. You don’t need to pro-rate the amount based on specific birthdays. But once they turn 18, unless they are disabled or need your help because they are unwell, they’re no longer considered a dependant for tax purposes, even if you continue to support them.
•They’re unwell or disabled: If your child is unwell (“infirm” is another term the CRA will use), and older than 18, you’ll need a letter from a doctor describing the condition before claiming them.
•They’re younger than 18 but earned income: If you’re a single parent and claiming the amount for an eligible dependant, you need to deduct your child’s income from the amount you can claim.
•They’re getting a post-secondary education: If they’re 18 or older, they’re not eligible to be claimed as dependants. But, they can transfer you up to $5,000 in tuition and education credits, if they didn’t use all of them on their own tax return. To make this happen, they have to sign the back of their T2202A to officially complete the transfer.
•They have medical expenses: If your child is over 18, you can continue claiming their medical expenses if you pay for them yourself. The amount you can claim is limited by 3% of your child’s net income.So, if you have someone or a few people in your life that rely on you for support, make sure you’re in the know about their status as a dependant. Even if they’re growing up or out the door, you could still save some money on your tax bill.

Then claim your Grandchild but I have not found the info yet in CRA that says 17 at any time in the year

This is why I claimed her this year and was surprised that it was rejected
If I appeal the decision, I want to know that I have good leg to stand on.
"•They’re 17 going on 18: As long as your child was 17 years old at some point during the tax year, they’re considered dependants and can be claimed for the entire year. You don’t need to pro-rate the amount based on specific birthdays. But once they turn 18, unless they are disabled or need your help because they are unwell, they’re no longer considered a dependant for tax purposes, even if you continue to support them.'

I began by telling you that under 18 was the determination and I have not found any where yet that says at anytime in the year they can be 17 in the CRA info. I tend not to go by a BLOG post for tax law.

At this point I still think you cannot because she was not under 18 at the end of the year.

I guess the question then is how did H&R come to this position if its an incorrect one.
Appreciate your time. I guess this is one that will have to be followed up on.
Seems rather punitive that if she was 17 for 10 months of the year that she could not qualify.

I understand your frustration. I too am trying to determine how they included that about at anytime in the year.

I will keep looking (just super curious now) and if I find anything I will contact you.

I am glad that I made you curious! This is a good question I think and one that might be one that tax law needs to be clear on.
I hope you can find something to help me out. I got hit with a $1500 tax bill on account of losing this credit as opposed to a $800 refund.

You are right, it does need clarification. I am in the US but cover Canada law as well. In the US when they state under XX age that means at the end of the tax year.

I have always read CRA law the same so I am really searching for any specific stated law for Canada tax that allows "anytime in the year".

I trust that you can send me the answer if you have one found and it will go to my email address I provided. Can you confirm this.

I will post here and it will be an alert in your e-mail that I have responded

Thank You for now

You are welcome