Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Separated Tax payers -Married couple that has separated and…

Separated Tax payers -Married couple...
Separated Tax payers -Married couple that has separated and in the process of getting a divorce. Lived a part the last six months of 2017. -Both taxpayers are employed -One child with joint custody 1. Can one file MFS and the other HOH? 2. If yes, is the child credit available? 3. Could one file Single and the other HOH? Thanks, jw
4/13/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hi JW,

1) The taxpayers have lived separately for at least 6 month, there is a dependent, so one spouse can file HOH and the other will have to file MFS.

The child credit would only be available to the tax payer who files as HOH.

3) The other spouse will have to file MFS unless they are legally separated.

Please let me know if I have addressed all of your questions.

Thank you

For child tax credit

You must reduce the maximum credit amount of $1,000 for each child if either (1) or (2) applies.

1. The amount on Form 1040, line 47; Form 1040A, line 30; or Form 1040NR, line 45, is less than the credit. If this amount is zero, you cannot take this credit because there is no tax to reduce. But you may be able to take the ACTC. See Additional Child Tax Credit , later.

2. Your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than the amount shown below for your filing status.

1. Married filing jointly – $110,000.

2. Single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er) – $75,000.

3. Married filing separately – $55,000.

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Excellent - thanks