Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

The question is about how to report a 2017 short sale of a…

The question is about how...
The question is about how to report a 2017 short sale of a single family rental property on my personal tax return. I rented the house the first few months of 2017 before the sale. Over the years, I accumulated carryforward losses from the rental activity. BACKGROUND: I had a 1st mortgage and a separate 2nd mortgage through an equity line of credit. The house sale price paid the 1st mortgage in full, and paid part of the 2nd mortgage balance. The balance on the 2nd mortgage was canceled by the lender and I received a 1099-C. The debt does not meet the IRS definition of a "qualified real property business debt". QUESTION: How and where, do I report the rental income earned in 2017, the accumulated losses over the years, and the sale on my 2017 individual tax return?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/13/2018
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.

See my phone call offer.

PDtax

I see you accepted my phone call offer.

Please post privately your phone number and a good time to call. I can be available later this afternoon, 4:30 or so, EST.

Customer/p>
Thank you.(###) ###-####at 4:30pm EST.
HelloCustomer are you going to contact me anytime soon?

got held up for phone call. we could try tomorrow morning if that works.

Customer/p>
I am available now.
I'm not.
I am. Taking dog for walk. Calling now.
Good morningCustomer This is the reminder for our call at 10am.
Thank you. I'll make call shortly.