Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am completing my income taxes. We paid ~$48k in federal…

Customer Question
I am completing my income...
I am completing my income taxes. We paid ~$48k in federal income taxes from w2 income withholding. I participated full time as a real estate investor with substantial losses in the year. Our losses are greater than our income so we do not owe any taxes, but for some reason in Turbo Tax the refund is showing $50k which is more than we paid in taxes and even as I had more losses the refund does not go higher than $50k. Any idea why?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
4/13/2018
Tax Professional: Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney replied 4 months ago
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney

You may have received a credit.

You should be able to look on the 1040 and see the withholding and any credits on page 2.

It is on lines 64 to 74:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf