Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Do we use my son’s net pay to help determine his support on…

Customer Question
Do we use my...

Do we use my son’s net pay to help determine his support on the irs worksheet or do we go by his gross income?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

He is 19, living with us, he was a full time high school student until June and worked part time. We paid for pretty much all of his support. His gross income was $10,200 and net income $8,563 which he uses when he goes out, clothing, eating out and entertainment. But we paid all rent, utilities, medical, dental, most of his food and personal items, etc. I’m trying to determine if he provided at least half of his support by completing the support worksheet. Do I go by his gross income or net income?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

We are a family of six and spouse’s income was only $62,000 for all of us, but we used some of our credit cards throughout the year to help pay for the household expenses. My son just uses his money as spending money.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
4/3/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 3 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

-------------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

Reading over the Support worksheet, I would say that you would use the net pay. Line 1 of the worksheet reads as follows:

Enter the total funds belonging to the person you supported, including income received (taxable and nontaxable) and amounts borrowed during the year, plus the amount in savings and other accounts at the beginning of the year....

----------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you. I’m just worried that he made too much and that it looks like he paid for more than half his support even though he didn’t. Like I said, his income was his spending money and we paid all the bills.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was away from the computer. If you truly paid more than half of his support, I would go ahead and claim him. If the IRS questions it, as long as you have proof indicating that you provided more than half od his support, then you should be fine.