Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

This last year I purchased a home (my first), but to do so I…

Customer Question
Hello. This last year...

Hello. This last year I purchased a home (my first), but to do so I had to make an early withdraw from my 401(k) plan. I now owe $24,500 in state and federal tax. Can you help lower my tax bill? I do not want an installment plan looming over my head. Please advise

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I just now turned 59 and a half, and my income is moderate.

Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Tax
4/3/2018
Tax Professional: ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 18 days ago
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. Great Question. You could withdraw from your 401k plan for a first home purchase - was there any option to take a 401k loan. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I took an emergency loan no taxes were taken out.

Hi. Is it your first home purchase?

If you did a 401k loan, it should not be taxable. However, you are still able to withdraw up to $10,000 for the purchase, repair, or remodel of a first home without paying a penalty.

ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group