Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I completed my tax return for 2017 and received a refund…

Customer Question
Hi, I completed my tax...
Hi, I completed my tax return for 2017 and received a refund already. After I received my refund, I received a 1099-G form for 2017. I would like to know if I need to file an amended federal and state income tax return due to this late 1099-G form? Also, since I moved to Washington from California in Aug, 2017, does an amendment to the state income tax return need to be filed for CA, WA or both?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Quick correction, it says 2017 Form 1099-G but box 3 "Tax year" states 2016. Also, this 1099-G is from state of California.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2018
Tax Professional: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 3 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

The 1099-G simply is reporting that you received a refund of state income taxes that you paid to California. Whether you have to amend your return and claim that income depends upon whether you itemized deductions on your 2016 tax return and claimed a deduction for state income taxes, rather than general sales tax. If you did file a Schedule A with your 2016 tax return, and if you did claim a deduction for state income taxes on that Schedule A, (look at whether the box on line 5a is checked, and if so, the amount on line 5) then you have to amend that return and add the refund to your gross income. You would make that entry on Form 1040-X, Line 1, column B.

You wouldn't need to amend your state tax returns because (1) California does not allow a deduction for its own income taxes; you would see this adjustment on CA form 540, Schedule CA, Line 10, Column B; (2) Washington doesn't have a state income tax.

Hope that answered your question. If so, please don't forget to rate this answer. You may always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge, and thank you for using Just Answer.