Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son is filling out his taxes. I covered his health

Customer Question
insurance. He is not my...
My son is filling out his taxes. I covered his health insurance. He is not my dependent. How does he respond to the question on needing a 1095-A?
Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Tax
4/3/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 19 days ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

There are two options.

If you had form 1099A which includes you and your son - you may allocate payments to your son - and he will claim his own PTC.

Or you will not allocate any to your son - and he will not claim any credit.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
1099? I asked about healthcare and my 1095-A, which lists my son, but I don't claim him as a dependent.

Sorry for typo - I meant 1095A.
If you son qualifies for the PTC - you might want to allocate a part of premiums you paid to your son - and he will claim his own credit.

If your son doesn't qualify for the credit - you will use all premiums to determine your own PTC.

To claim allocation - use from 8962

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8962.pdf

Part IV Allocation of Policy Amounts

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 16 days ago

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor