Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How can I apply for refund of social security benefits taxes…

Customer Question
Second opinion] how can I...
Second opinion] how can I apply for refund of social security benefits taxes withHeld in 2015 AND 2016 due to repayment of benefits in 2016 AND 2017? My box 4 for 2017 SSA 1099 is less than box 3.I am assuming because I paid taxes on these benefits in 2015 and 16 and had to pay back that I should get a refund on the taxes withheld and I can't get anyone to answer this question for me! Please can you just set me straight one way or another, thanks
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Tax
4/3/2018
Tax Professional: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 23 days ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you paid taxes on the benefits in 2015 and 2016 and included those withheld taxes in your 2015 and 2016 income tax returns to reduce your tax liability, you would not be entitled to additional refund. So, I am afraid that you would not be due another refund because it is more than likely that you have already taken credit for these taxes in your previous tax returns for those two years.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
but the benefits that I declared as income on AGI in 2015 and 2016 but then had to pay back in 2016 and 2017, so did I not end up paying taxes on money I had to return so why would I not get refund on those taxes?
Tax Professional: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 22 days ago

Thank you for the information. Let me opt out to see if another Tax Professional can further assist you.

Best wishes,

PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law