Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I filled earlier in Mar this year for 2017 taxes and

Customer Question
Hello, I filled earlier...

Hello, I filled earlier in Mar this year for 2017 taxes and received a notice in the mail that I did not meet the requirements for a Qualifying Widower. which Turbo tax said I did. I now owe an additional $2100. I reviewed against the 1040 manual and and

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Hello, I filled earlier in Mar this year for 2017 taxes and received a notice in the mail that I did not meet the requirements for a Qualifying Widower. which Turbo tax said I did. I now owe an additional $2100. I reviewed against the 1040 manual and see no problem. Can you please help

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
4/2/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 3 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

For the two years after the year of your spouse's death, you can use the Qualifying Widow(er) filing status if all 5 of the following statements are true:

1. For the year in which your spouse died, you filed (or could have filed) a joint return with your spouse.
  2. You did not remarry (during the two years after the year of your spouse's death). For example, your spouse died in 2017 and you do not remarry before January 1, 2020.
  3. You have a child or stepchild (not a foster child) whom you are able to claim as a dependent.
  4. The child lived with you in your home all year, except for temporary absences. There are exceptions for birth, death, or kidnapping.
  5. You paid more than half the total cost of keeping up the home in which you and the child lived for the year. The total cost of keeping up a home includes food expenses, rent, mortgage interest, home insurance, real estate taxes, utilities, repairs, maintenance, and other household expenses.

If you remarried during the year, you cannot file as Qualifying Widow or Widower. Neither can you file as Qualifying Widow or Widower if you do not have a dependent child for whom you kept up a home.

What rule did the IRS advise you did not meet?

They were not specific, just said that it was changed to dingle filing status

Single? Didn't you have a child listed as a dependent?