Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just asked a question and put the $5 down and them I was…

Customer Question
I just asked a...

I just asked a question and put the $5 down and them I was left up in the air. When I tried to get back to you this website said they were connecting me with an immigration lawyer? What's going on

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I just typed my question and was waiting for an answer? Where is my tax person to talk with

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Do you have my original question

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
4/2/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

(By the way, if the site makes one of those automated call offers, That did not come from me. Be glad to do a phone consult, but this comes with an additional cost, so don’t accept unless you’d like to talk)

What I want to know is does this qualify for one of the exemptions and can I adjust my income to include this debt so I only end up with enough to get Obamacare?

It looks from my end as if you've asked this as a second (new) question. I read the other that you posted, however.

...

It was really more of a statement than a question ... but I think I know what you may be asking ... how to HANDLE that 1099-C

...

You MAY be able to completely exclude the income that's created when a lender writes your debt off, takes their own bad debt deduction, and send the 1099-C.

...

You can do this under whats called the insolvency exclusion.

...

If, on the date of the identifiable event (box 1 of the 1099-C) your assets are at a total value that's less than the total value of your debts

Looks like we crossed there, but yes, IF you are insolvent on that day, you use form 982 to exclude the amount of debt (to the extent of you insolvency) and it's not reported on the 1040 at all.

...

I'm attaching the worksheet that IRS wants you to use to calculate the insolvency number

The worksheet isn't filed, you simply include form 982 with your return and keep the worksheet for your records

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

But if you need more here, please let me know,

Lane

I have a condo and did at that time so I wasn't insolvent. The date on the 1099c is 3/8/2017
I don't have an additional $52 to call you. I have already paid $38.

As I said above, if the site makes one of those automated call offers, That did not come from me. Be glad to do a phone consult, but this comes with an additional cost, so don’t accept unless you’d like to talk)

Then, so sorry, if on 03-08/2017 your debt (INCLUDING the debt that was forgiven, any mortgages, etc) is not more than the market value of your assets, then you wouldn't be insolvent.

...

After what you said about the refi, (harp like - many times they simply recapitalize and add the unpaid amounts to the back end of the mortgage) I thought that might get you over the line

This didn't really answer my question. I was giving background to my situation when the question box cut me off. I didn't know how to get back with you so I went back to try to connect my question. I already knew about the insolvency question and I was not insolvent at the time the 1099c was dated. My question, which I never got to to ask you was: since I pay myself out of my partner's VA disability payment, can I adjust the AMT , including the 1099c amt, to equal just enough to qualify for Obamacare