Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Soc.Sec. 578-70-7297 Last Friday I e-file my 2017 tax return…

Customer Question
My name is*****###-##-####Last Friday...

My name is*****###-##-####Last Friday I e-file my 2017 tax return with Turbo Tax. on the form they ask that I should put my adjusted gross income on line 37 of the 2016 return, with I did. Turbo Tax e-file my 2017 return. Last Saturday I received an e-mail from Turbo Tax saying my 2017 return was rejected by IRS because the amount I put for adjusted gross income for 2016 return was incorrect.

Accountant's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

My e-mail provider is Gmail.

Accountant's Assistant: How do you usually access Gmail? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Thru a web browser.

Accountant's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I went back to my 2016 Tax Return and I believe I see where the problem is, but I don't know how Turbo Tax or IRS did not catch it at that time, but I will be happy to let you know where I found it..

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No, connect me for I hope we can solve the problem so that IRS can accept my 2017 return.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Tax
4/2/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 24 days ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The 2016 AGI amount must be the exact amount from Line 37 of your 2016 tax return.

That is the amount you enter to file your 2017 tax return.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I looked up the copy of my 2016 return and I believe I see where the problem is, but I don't know how Turbo Tax missed it when e-filing my 2016 return and how IRS also missed it also. What I find is on my 1040 line 20b our social security amount while its on line 20b it was not extended to the column to be included in the total for the AGI so instead of line 37 be 38604.00 it was only 7956.00 so I had forgotten to extend it and neither Turbo Tax nor IRS found it. If you can pull up my 2016 tax return and look on 1040 line 20b you will see what I think is the problem. Thanks.

You will use the amount on Line 37. Not all of your Social Security may have been included in your AGI.

I do not have access to your tax return.

I see you requested a phone call, but there is a problem at your end.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
This is my latest credit card and I don't know how its not working, then let us go with a phone call, my cell phone number is ***** ,

I cannot call you until the problem is resolved at your end.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
could you call me on my cell phone, if not call me on my home phone(###) ###-####

I cannot call you until the payment issue is resolved.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ms Barbara: could you use my debit card?

I have nothing to do with payment/billing.

Until the issue is resolved, we can continue to communicate here.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
my bank recently changed my credit card as they are getting rid of the raised number on the card, so I don't use the old card anymore, only the new one with unraised numbers, but my debit card still has the raised numbers, so if you can' handle it I will try something else.
Joe..

You can contact customer service at(###) ###-#### Once the issue is resolved, they will notify me, and I will be able to call you.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney