Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Do we have to send a death certificate with a tax return…

Customer Question
Do we have to...

Do we have to send a death certificate with a tax return since it can't be signed and does it have to be an original certificate?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am filing taxes for my mom and my dad died in April 2017. Filing a joint return. How does this work with no signature?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
4/2/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you are helping your mom file a paper return,

• Across the top of the return - above the area where you enter your address, write "Deceased," your spouse’s name, and the date of death.
  • When you're a surviving spouse filing a joint return and a personal representative hasn't been appointed, you should sign the return and write "filing as surviving spouse" in the signature area below your signature.
  • When you're a surviving spouse filing a joint return and a personal representative has been appointed, you and the personal representative should sign the return.
  • A decedent taxpayer's tax return can be filed electronically. Follow the specific directions provided by your preparation software for proper signature and notation requirements.

A copy of the death certificate is not required to be sent in.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.