Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If I receive money from my daughter to pay my mortgage is it…

Customer Question
If I receive money...

If I receive money from my daughter to pay my mortgage is it taxable? She paid tax on it herself when she received it as income.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What do you need to know?

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 24 days ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
ok

In brief, the money that you receive from your daughter would not be taxable income to you, it would be considered a gift. If the amount that she gives you is less than $15,000, nothing needs to be done. However, if she gives you more than $15,000, then she will need to complete a Form 709.

Still typing....

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
no just want the answer to my question Thanks

The annual gift exclusion amount for TY 2018 is $15,000, which means that a U.S. person can gift another person up to $15,000 without creating a taxable event (having to complete the Form 709-Gift Tax Return). for more detailed information relating to gifts, you can refer to IRS Pub 950.

Link to IRS Pub 950:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

-----------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Does it matter if her money that she is giving is in Canada and I am in Canada?

Are you a U.S. citizen? Is she a U.S. citizen?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Neither of us are US citizens. She is working in the US on a work visa.

Ok. My answer was based on the U.S. tax system. While I am sure that I can locate the answer for you regarding Canada, currently I do not have the time to do that. Therefore, I am going to opt out and release the question back into the question queue so that someone else can assist.

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 24 days ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you since the first expert opted out of your question.

Canadian taxpayers can give all the cash they want to people and organizations without causing a taxable event. Canada does not impose a tax on cash gifts.

So both your daughter and you do not report or pay tax on the gift.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

It does not matter if the money and you are located in Canada.

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 23 days ago

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent