Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I know someone who applied for medicaid - a woman in her…

I know someone who applied...
I know someone who applied for medicaid - a woman in her 50's with one teenage child. She had worked 8 months at a job with a good salary and then was terminated. Medicaid was denied because she had made too much money.This year, she may be leaving a job she will have worked at for 5 months. She will have been paid around $15,000 by the time she leaves. She also gets some child support and alimony. Can she qualify for Medicaid? If so, how much does it pay?
4/2/2018
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. G

Hi. Great Question. I will be able to help.

Hi. Here are the income and asset limits for Florida -

Income Limit – $884 / month
Asset Limit – $5,000
Level of Care Required – None

Good News - child support is not included in the income limit. However, alimony is included.

Medicaid pays a lot of your medical expenses.

Thank you for easy to understand responses.
But just o be sure, the fact that she will have been paid $14,000 when she leaves her present job end of April will not be taken into consideration to disqualify her? (She thinks that happened when she lost a job in August last year and wasn't accepted)
And if she leaves the job voluntarily and moves out of the state where she is currently working, can she still quality?
One more thing - how long does it take? She will have only her child support and will be living with us until she can go back on her own. So will need it right away.
Oh, one more. She has health issues. Does Medicaid disqualify for preexisting conditions?

Yes on first three. No - Medicaid is not allowed to disqualify for pre-existing conditions.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions. Thank you.

I worded that question about income oddly. I think the response is "Yes, that she has earned $14,000 when leaving her job will NOT disqualify her, right?

You are correct.

Thank you so much

You are very welcome. A positive rating is very much appreciated.

ABC Accounting Group