Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband cashed out his 401K for the purchase of a new…

Customer Question
Hi, my husband cashed...

Hi, my husband cashed out his 401K for the purchase of a new house. We ended up losing the deal and did not buy the house. We hope to purchase again this year. More than 120 days have gone by between the withdrawal. Is there any way we can avoid the penalty?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Just that. I want to know if we can still claim the exception even though we lost the house

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 3 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

------------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

In brief, unfortunately, there is no way to avoid taxation of the funds. In addition, if the funds were withdrawn prior to your husband being age 59-1/2, there will also be a 10% early withdrawal penalty. You can refer to the following IRS webpage for more details on early withdrawal exceptions.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distributions

------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.