Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm an outside sales person who travels 3 states. My company…

Customer Question
I'm an outside sales...

I'm an outside sales person who travels 3 states. My company gives me $2000 per month to be used for hotels, meals , food etc. Can I still deduct those expense up to the point of $2000 per month?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 3 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

----------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

In brief, you cannot double dip. If you are provided $2,000 a month by the company, you are not able to deduct any of that amount. Prior to the new tax reform, you would have been able to deduct any amount spent above the $2,000 as an unreimbursed employee business expense, but for tax years 2018-2025, this will not be the case.

----------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

My question does not concern any amount above the $2000. Can I deduct my hotel expenses and any other travel related expense required to do my job?

NOT if you are being reimbursed for the expenses, you can't, which, from what you have written, you are being reimbursed for the expenses. that's called double dipping. The IRS does not allow that.

I'm actually given the monies in advance to use future travel related expenses.

An advance, a reimbursement, if your employer provides the amount to you, it is not deductible as an expense to you. SEE BELOW:

----------------------------

If your employer reimbursed you or gave you an advance or allowance for your employee business expenses that's treated as paid under an accountable plan, the payment shouldn't appear as income on your Form W-2.pdf, Wage and Tax Statement. You don't include the payment in your income, and you may not deduct any of the reimbursed amounts.

reference source:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc514

The expense dollars does not show up on my W2 form . Instead it is shown on form 2106 entitled , Employee Business Expense.
The expense dollars does not show up on my W2 form. Instead it is shown on form 2106 entitled, Employee Business Expense.

I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this, any amount that has been advanced to you or reimbursed to you by an employer, is not deductible to you. It doesn't matter if the amount is shown on the Form W2 or not. You cannot deduct expenses that have been pre-paid or reimbursed by the employer.

Will I have to pay taxes on this 2000 per month given for travel expenses?

The answer to this question is no. Following is information written in my previous response.

---------------------

reference source:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc514

A positive rating of 3 or more stars for assisting you is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.