Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I traveled a lot last year. My company paid the hotel but I…

Customer Question
I traveled a lot...

I traveled a lot last year. My company paid the hotel but I never sent in any expenses for meals. They just paid my mileage and hotel. Can I claim per diem for the over night trips?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I spent lots of days overnight in hotels for my job in several states. But never claimed per diem for meals. Can I claim on my taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Well I rented several cars which this expense was not reimburse either.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2018
Tax Professional: Cole Parker, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
Cole Parker
Cole Parker, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello! My name is***** have reviewed your question...

1. When you are an employee you are able to claim unreimbursed employee expenses as an itemized deduction. Included in this would be meals with an IRS per diem rate (which depends on where you go).
  2. You are also able to claim the car rental expense as an unreimbursed employee expense -- another itemized deduction.

I hope all of these makes sense and if not please let me know and I'd be happy to clarify :-)

Have a happy Easter!