Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

In a case where a fireman is injured on the job and becomes…

Customer Question
In a case where...

In a case where a fireman is injured on the job and becomes partially disabled due to work related injury, (1) is his disability income subject to

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Sorry, hit wrong key. Continuing, . . . subject to FIT. (2) Even if not taxable, must the income be declared as FIT gross income/revenue subject to exemption?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Not that i can think of..

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Tax
3/31/2018
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 19 days ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

What kind of disability income is he receiving? Social security disability? Workcomp? Short or long term disability payments?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Is there an extra charge to continue this discussion?

No

The phone call request you may have already seen is website generated. You can ignore it.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Sorry, I do not have the information you requested readily available. I expect to have it shortly and I will contact you then. I apologize for the delay. Thank you
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
He receives permanent retirement disability through CALPERS or its equivalent, which I am told is nontaxable. I am not sure whether he needs to report it on his tax return nonetheless. If it makes a difference, he has obtained two jobs since the retirement, which generate taxable income.

I see. Did he received any tax form for the disability payments?

If not than it is equivalent or work comp and is not taxable.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
It’s Definitely not taxable, but I do not know whether he needs to report it nonetheless on his tax return. I cannot tell based on his tax return whether the income he is listing is from the jobs since the disability retirement, or whether it includes the disability payments he has received under some nontaxable category.

If he did not receive any tax form and nothing had been reported to the IRS than you do not need to report it on his tax return. But if he got any form than you have to report it and exclude it. You will need his w2.

Request a transcript to see what was and what wasn't reported to the IRS.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser