Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I live in Iowa and make my income in Nebraska. Nebraska is.

Customer Question
I live in Iowa...

I live in Iowa and make my income in Nebraska. Nebraska is

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Nebraska is keeping 95% of what was deducted. this is the first time I haven't got back enough from Nebraska to pay Iowa share. I feel like I'm being taxed twice on the same income.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I don't know. I'm using turbo tax

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/31/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

When using TurboTax and you live and work in two different states, the order in which you complete your returns is important.

You will first complete the federal portion.

Then proceed to the nonresident state--Nebraska

Then proceed to your resident state--Iowa.

Go back into your return and delete the two states and start over.

Pull in Nebraska first and go all the way through it.

Then pull in Iowa and go all the way through it.

Do not go back and forth between federal and states and each state.

Please let me know if you are successful.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Hello Barb, I'm Jim. I did them in that order. why is Nebraska keeping all my withheld when I don't live there, or why is iowa taxing me when I don't live there. 1300 for Nebraska and 550 for iowa seem quite high. my income is less than 40k. are they both allowed to tax me at these high rates

You said you live in Iowa and work in Nebraska in your original question. Is that not the case?

that is correct

You should receive a refund from Nebraska and pay Iowa.

Delete both states and go through them again--Nebraska first and Iowa last. Complete Nebraska before starting Iowa.

that is the order I did the returns. I will try again tomorrow when I'm not so upset by this.

You may have answered a question incorrectly during the interview process on the state returns.

Let me know what happens, and I'll be happy to help you.