Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Conflicting info on children under age 19 in 2017 needing to…

Customer Question
Conflicting info on children under...
Conflicting info on children under age 19 in 2017 needing to live 1/2 of year with taxpayer
Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Tax
3/31/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 19 days ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

What is the conflicting information you are seeing?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Been told that children under age 19 have to have lived with taxpayer half of year in 2017

I previously sent you the information on this.

Certain relatives do NOT have to live with you.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2892814-does-a-dependent-have-to-live-with-me

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Ok. Per this if they get support from two or more they can be claimed. Wife partial support from disability 600 or 700 monthly. Can this be counted as two along with taxpayer.

children that were under 19 at the end of 2017 (24 if they attended school full time for at least part of five calendar months of the year) must have lived with you for more than half of the year to be claimed.

I'm not understanding about "they get support from two or more they can be claimed."

Who are the people you are trying to claim?

Children?

Grandchildren?

Do they live with you?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Grandchildren 1&2 yrs old.

Where do they live?

Where are the parents?

Are you trying to claim them because you provide money to support them, but they do not live with you? They live with their parents?

If so, you cannot claim them.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I doing my cousins taxes. Her son and two grandchildren live out of state. His wife gets SSI. Children are 1&2 yrs old and live with parents. Other than 600 or 700 SSI my cousin supports them.

She cannot claim them.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
She can claim son and maybe daughter-in-law. Right?

If the requirements are met, yes.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent