Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I sold a second home/Condo in 2017 and then purchase another…

Customer Question
I sold a second...

I sold a second home/Condo in 2017 and then purchase another condo of higher value in 2017, do I need to pay taxes on profit.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Purchased the first condo in 2015 for 69,000., sold it for 103,000 in 2017. Purchased another condo for 113,000 in 2017. Do I need to pay on profit even if it wast reinvented.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/31/2018
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional replied 4 months ago
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

Yes, you do have to report the profit from the sale of the first home unless the condo was your primary residence for at least 2 years OR if you completed a 1031 exchange as part of "like-kind," exchange.

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

This condo is a second home and not a rental. It was a second floor walk up and I needed a ground floor or an building with elevator because of knee problems that developed.
This was a like kind exchange but price was higher.

Second homes generally do not qualify for like kind exchanges.

If you used a qualified intermediary the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) uses requires that you use Form 8824 to report like-kind exchanges.

To accept the answer please click on three stars or more.

If you have additional questions please let me know.

Have not received a call after payment was made!

The status is stating the payment failed

Thank you!