Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Do I report the loss of a stock due to bankruptcy as a sale…

Do I report the...

Do I report the loss of a stock due to bankruptcy as a sale without proceeds?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

A long term stock holding filed for bankruptcy in 2017. There is currently no value of the stock. I would like to claim it as a loss, but unsure how to do so.

3/31/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane.

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment.

I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply.

...

I'll post that in just a few moments. Then, let me know if you have further questions on this.

(Please understand that if the site makes one of those automated call offers, that does not come from me. Be glad to discuss if you want, but disregard if you just want to chat on line as we are here)

Yep. you have it right.

...

The general rule for deducting losses on worthless investment securities is found in Sec. 165(g), which permits a loss deduction for a security that becomes worthless during the tax year, but only if the security is a capital asset in the taxpayer’s hands. (Stocks, of curse are capital assets)

...

The loss amount is determined by treating it as having resulted from a hypothetical sale or exchange of the security on the last day of the tax year in which the security becomes worthless. This deduction can be taken where the taxpayer is unable or unwilling to sell or otherwise dispose of the security in a taxable transaction

Thank you

While the determination of worthlessness is often subjective, the courts have generally upheld it when there is no reasonable possibility that the investors will receive anything of value (see, e.g., Drachman, 23 T.C. 558 (1954)).

...

You'll treat this as a sale for $0 on 8949 which flows to schedule D

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS