Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm on ssdi, divorced none custodial parent. For the last 7…

Customer Question
I'm on ssdi, divorced none...
I'm on ssdi, divorced none custodial parent. For the last 7 yeArs I haven't filed taxes. My daughter receives 600 monthly from my Ssi.
The divorced decree doesn't have a tax clause.
Custodial parent earns less than me and is illegal resident only has Itin# ***** self employed.
I worked part timing w017 and received said. Can I get ERIC o ?
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 26 days ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane.

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment.

I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply.

...

I'll post that in just a few moments. Then, let me know if you have further questions on this.

...

(Please understand that if the site makes one of those automated call offers, that does not come from me. Be glad to discuss if you want, but disregard if you just want to chat on line as we are here)

You said "I worked part timing w017 and received said. Can I get ERIC o ?"

...

Can you please re-state your question? Are you asking about the Earned Income Credit?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
In 2017 I worked part time and received SSDI. I'm in California. Their in Washington. Ex husband only has It in no ss#. I Support my daughter monthly. Do I qualify for EIC? Earned income Credit?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Texting is ok.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
EX HAS NO social security #

There are actually two pieces to this ... having a qualifying child, and having earned income.

...

You can claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) if you don’t claim a qualifying child for the EITC. But, you, must have earned less than $20,600 during 2017.

...

First ltt me show you the qualifying child test

Relationship

• Your son, daughter, adopted child1, stepchild, foster child2 or a descendent of any of them such as your grandchild
  • Brother, sister, half brother, half sister, step brother, step sister or a descendant of any of them such as a niece or nephew

Age

• At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) and younger than 19
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) younger than 24 and a full-time student
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was any age and permanently and totally disabled3

Residency

• Child must live with you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) in the United States4 for more than half of the year

Joint Return

• The child cannot file a joint return for the tax year unless the child and the child's spouse did not have a separate filing requirement and filed the joint return only to claim a refund.

It's the residency test (if I understand correctly that she did not live with you for at least half of the year) that will disqualify you for the larger number.

...

But there IS still the EIC

For Tax Year 2017, the EITC phases out entirely (is not available) for taxpayers with an adjusted gross income of:

...

For 2017, the maximum Earned Income Tax Credit per taxpayer is:

• $510 with no Qualifying Children

If the child DID live with you for more than 1/2 of the year, then the credit goes up to

• $3,400 with one Qualifying Child

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Is her being at school an exemption.???
.school breaks.spent with are with me Plus my visits....equal to 6 mos....Your good! my income was 15k approx. I'll file Single head of household for 2017.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Please reiterate for me my options...

Then you're there ... Being away at school doesn't count as being away.

...

You can take the EIC

Thanks,

Lane

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I'm still confused...sorry can my ex-spouse claim her as an dependent or anything ? If does claim her can I still file EIC or (?) I don't know what else I can file is their any other credit ?I don't mind rating you but there aren't any stars on any of my screens.
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 23 days ago

If you're on a device (such as a tablet or a phone) you may need to scroll up to see the stars OR may need to swipe left or right, depending on your device.

...

It is not necessary to have a dependent for the earned income credit. It just becomes much larger if you do.

...

And from the sound of things, if you support and the child is not physically with you becasue of school, then you meet the requirements to take the child as a dependent ... so that the EIC wil be a larger amount

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS