Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife has moved into a mental care facility. Can we

Customer Question
My wife has moved...

My wife has moved into a mental care facility. Can we continue to file jointly

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My wife and I always filed jointly - she has now moved into a memory care facility - can we continue to file jointly

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Tax
3/30/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 23 days ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide in the next thread(s).

---------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

As for continuing to file jointly, as long as you considered legally married at the end of the tax year, you are able to file using the married filing jointly status. You do not need to live under the same roof.

-----------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

When Can You File a Joint Return With Your Spouse?

You're eligible to file a joint tax return if you're considered legally married. This means that you were married on the last day of the tax year.​ Even if you filed for divorce during the year, the IRS still considers you married if you don't receive a divorce decree or judgment on or before December 31.

That's the basic rule. You can't be legally separated by court order, either, although it's not mandatory that you live together. You can simply live apart without having the court issue an order dictating the terms of your separation.

Both you and your spouse must also agree to file the joint return and you both must sign it.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
She is physically unable to sign. I hold her power of Attorney and assume I can use it to sign for her. Right?

The representative named in a POA cannot sign an income tax returnunless:

1. The signature is permitted under the Internal Revenue Code and the related regulations (see Regs. Sec. 1.6012-1(a)(5)); and
  2. The taxpayer specifically authorizes this in its POA.

The regulation permits the authorized representative to sign a taxpayer's return if the taxpayer is unable to sign the return due to:

1. Disease or injury;
  2. Continuous absence from the United States (including Puerto Rico) for a period of at least 60 days before the date required by law for filing the return; or
  3. Other good cause if specific permission is requested of and granted by the IRS.

When a representative signs a return, it must be accompanied by a POA authorizing the representative to sign the tax return.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2016/apr/power-of-attorney-and-declaration-of-representative.html

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
When the spouses are legally married but live separately, how are the two addresses reported in the tax return - there is only room for one address
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 21 days ago

The spouse that lives outside of the home can complete the Form 8822.

Link to Form 8822/insturctions:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

A positive rating of 3 or more stars for assisting you is appreciated.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant