Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a person withdraws $20,000 from an investment account and…

Customer Question
If a person withdraws...

If a person withdraws $20,000 from an investment account and it's the only source of income, is there a tax to pay?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

That's my question

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/30/2018
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 4 months ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. Is this a retirement account of some sort? And, is this simply a withdrawal of money the person put in the account? Or, were stocks sold to there was money to distribute? If stocks were sold, what was the purchase price of the stocks and when were they purchased? Thanks.

stocks were sold

What was the purchase price of the stock and when were they purchased? Also, what's your filing status...single, married filing jointly, head of household, married filing separately?