Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If someone is over 65, and they are claiming their son...but…

Customer Question
If someone is over...

If someone is over 65, and they are claiming their son...but the son doesn't live with them, can they claim head of household

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

She provided over half the support of her son, but he didn't live with her

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Tax
3/30/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 28 days ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

-------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

In brief, in order to claim Head of Household, A qualifying person had to live in the home more than half the year. SEE BELOW:

---------------------------

You can efile your tax return using the Head of Household if you meet all 3 of these Head of Household filing status requirements:

1. You were not married (you were single, divorced, or legally separated), or were "considered unmarried" on the last day of the tax year.
  2. You paid more than half the cost of "keeping up a home" for the year.
  3. A "Qualifying Person" lived with you in that home for more than half the year, except for temporary absences (a dependent parent is not required to live with you).

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.efile.com/irs-head-of-household-tax-filing-status/

----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
What if the person is disabled but living somewhere else
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No I don't want to be called

It does not matter, in order to be able to claim Head of Household, the person needs to live with you for more than half the year, unless it is a temporary absence.

Temporary Absence

A person is considered to have lived with you during periods of time when one of you, or both, are temporarily absent due to special circumstances such as:

• Illness,
  • Education,
  • Business,
  • Vacation, or
  • Military service.

It must be reasonable to assume that the absent person will return to the home after the temporary absence.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/IPAR/resources/help/tempabs.html

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant