Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I had an overtime check for $600. However it does not show…

Customer Question
I had an overtime...

I had an overtime check for $600. However it does not show how much in taxes were withheld. I received a check instead for just under $100 does this seem right. Seems a bit low to me. I claim 2 allowances

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I sent message above, sorry

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Tax
3/30/2018
Tax Professional: Rachel-Mod, Moderator replied 23 days ago
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator
I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic. It looks like your question may have been meant for a different company.
We, JustAnswer, match people with questions to professionals with answers in areas like Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Financial, Legal, Home Improvement and more.
Oftentimes, the Experts can help with a question like yours or I would be happy to try to assist you in finding the web address of the company you are looking for if you can confirm that for me.
Please let me know if you want to continue or cancel your question and I'm happy to further assist you.
Thank you,
Rachel
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
This is a tax question, I received a $98 check for 19.46 hrs in overtime. I make $20.00 hr. and it is time and a half so it would be $30.00 hr. for almost 20 hrs of work. So essentially a $600 check. I am wondering approximately how much in taxes would be withheld in MN. I only got a check for $98 and this seems awfully low. Would that much tax really have been withheld from a $600 check? I claim 2 allowances on myw2.
Thank you for getting back with me. I will open this matter back up to our experts to further assist you. Thank you for your patience.
Rachel-Moderator
Tax Professional: ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 23 days ago
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. I can help you.

That does not make sense at all. However, did they include your regular wages with the overtime?

If it was paid separately, it should be approximately 3.58% or $21.

I have a feeling they put it in wrong - charging you withholdings for back taxes or for a bonus amount.

I would get a hold of your payroll department and check if they have the allowances, etc. correct.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
This is a payroll question. I worked almost so let’s just say 20hrs. Overtime so time and a half, my regular hourly wage is $20 hr. So time and a half would be $30 hr. Equaling $30 hr. What is the MN tax taken out of this check. That is all I need to know. I claim 2 allowances so I know a little more would come out. This is not a hard question.
It should be 3.58%. The actual amount would be on your pay stub.
It should have been 21.58
Hi. Then, you do not have to disclose it. However, I would keep the capital account on your books.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
In plain dollars please tell me what amount I am entitled to after taxes out of the $600 check.
Around $460.
You do not
Sorry. Around 460
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok I just spoke to my manager and told her the correct amount and she is trying to say I have to realize I already got paid for those 2 weeks so they don’t owe me as much and I told her yes I got paid for my straight 75.02 hrs at my $20.00hr. rate and after witholdings got my check for 1,373.63. This also included 4.12 hrs of cook time at 11.00 hr. The 20.00 an hr job is as a cleaner. But that I still did not get my correct amount of about 460 for the 20 hrs. Of cleaning time at 30.00 an hr. She kept saying that I already got paid for some of that in that biweekly paycheck which I did not. The day I brought this to her attention in her office she even said well what did Jodi our payroll person do with the 20 hrs of OT we owe you for? And she found it and Jodi had rolled it into my cook category and I asked for a print of this and have it. I don’t understand what she is trying to say, do you
Tax Professional: ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 22 days ago
If you have the paper she showed you, please send. I will look at it.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
ALl it shows is my name then cleaner 75.02. Then next column shows 19.34. The rest are zeros
Next line shows cook And under. 4.12. And the rest are zerosOriginally the 19.34 showed under my cook hours but she noticed the mistake as I told her and moved it up to the cleaner column.
What does your gross wages say
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I don’t have a pay stub
Tax Professional: ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 21 days ago

Hi. Your employer should provide you with your payroll check.

ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group