How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carter McBride Your Own Question
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  Adjunct Professor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Carter McBride is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have accumulated a professional library since 2010. I have

Customer Question

Hi. My name is***** have accumulated a professional library since 2010. I have not written off the cost of the library as I was told I cannot do that since it has a life greater than 1 year. Now I have been told that I can depreciate the cost using 7 year depreciation calculator. Can I do this and include any of the previous year's depreciation on this year's return? Thanks
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: No, that is basically it. Thanks
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Carter McBride replied 5 months ago.

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

You can do that by filing Form 3115 for a change in accounting method, using change 7.

This page has a great example of how to fill out the 3115 for this situation:

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!