Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have accumulated a professional library since 2010. I have…

Customer Question
Hi. My name is*****...

Hi. My name is***** have accumulated a professional library since 2010. I have not written off the cost of the library as I was told I cannot do that since it has a life greater than 1 year. Now I have been told that I can depreciate the cost using 7 year depreciation calculator. Can I do this and include any of the previous year's depreciation on this year's return? Thanks

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No, that is basically it. Thanks

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Tax
3/30/2018
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 26 days ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

You can do that by filing Form 3115 for a change in accounting method, using change 7.

This page has a great example of how to fill out the 3115 for this situation:

https://www.natptax.com/TaxKnowledgeCenter/FederalTaxInformation/whitepapers/summaries/Documents/Form%203115%20Missed%20Depreciation.pdf

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride