Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am trying to expand my cleaning business & begin hiring…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to expand my cleaning business & begin hiring employees but i don't know what step to take first. How do i set it up? Do i have my employee as an independent contractor. I've been paying her cash because i do not know how to handle taxes. I want to make sure my business is run legally. can you help?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I have been in business since 2014. I got an extension on my taxes last yr but was in a horrible accident & now i am trying to prepare my taxes for 2016 & 2017

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Tax
3/30/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 26 days ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You will need to set up payroll for any employees so taxes are withheld, whether you do it yourself or you hire a company to do it for you.

The first step is to obtain a W-9 from each employee as soon as possible.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Can’t I hire them as independent contractors? And use a 1099

The IRS has very strict rules about how to classify as independent contractors vs. employees.

Even if they are considered independent contractors and you issue 1099s, you will still need a completed W-9 from each person.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
then what do i do?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
having someone sign their name at the bottom of a form is easy. What do i have to do?

The W-9 is for your records so you can issue the 1099 or W-2, as the case may be, to report what you paid them.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent