Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We received a 1099-DIV with box 8 filled in. The original…

Customer Question
We received a 1099-DIV...

We received a 1099-DIV with box 8 filled in. The original shares were $100 each when my mother-in-law bought them. The bank was sold and we received a check and this 1099 for 2017 since my mother in law passed away in July. I am not sure what form to file it on in my taxes for a capital gain.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I'm aware of.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Tax Professional: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 24 days ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This is not a taxable event for you. A Box 8 ditribution is a return of capital. Any liquidating distribution you receive is not taxable to you until you recover the basis of your stock. This is usually not the case in a liquidation.

Also since this is an inheritance you are enntitled to a step up in basis at the time of your Mother-in-law's passing. Sonce it is so close in time the basis would be so close to the same amount of the distribution if there was any difference.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

It easier to run these distributions on Sch D form 8949. Make certain that they appear on the Sch D to match whatever has been reported to the IRS.

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney