Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need to file state tax for 2014.. the only paperwork I…

Customer Question
I need to file...

I need to file state tax for 2014.. the only paperwork I have is what the IRS sent me .. I have filed federal tax

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Welll I don't know what y'all need.. I'm retired civil service & air force.. I also get get social security .. but I have no proof of payin state tax .. the only one I did get it touch with was thrift savings & they told me they didn't whithhold state tax..

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

? how long do they give you to file.. I was told it was 3 years..

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Tax
3/29/2018
Tax Professional: Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 21 days ago
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I'm Fiona, former IRS revenue agent. I am looking at your question and will get back to you soon. Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP,IMTA

Dear Customer,

Most state's tax return amounts are based on the federal tax returns we file. Therefore, you can file your state tax returns based on your federal tax returns submitted.

When a tax return is not filed, there is no statute of limitation. We don't have time limitation on when we can file a tax return. However, if we need to claim refund, most tax authorities require us to file within three years of the tax return due date including extension of time or two years after the date of tax payment, whichever comes later.

Please feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Fiona

Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen