Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a tax attorney question. My land has been acquired by…

Customer Question
I have a tax...

I have a tax attorney question. My land has been acquired by emminent domain. The state was scheduled to pay as of Aug 2017. To date they have not paid. I have orchard trees and wells of $220,000 that have been destroyed by the state. Is there a way to write that off on my taxes as a loss since no money has changed hands?

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Only seen a local lawyer for filing but nothing for taxes

Accountant's Assistant: Where is the land located?

Kings Co, California

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 day by:
3/30/2018
Tax Professional: Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney replied 1 month ago
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney

If you are a cash basis taxpayer then you would report the gain when you are paid. You might be able to write it off as a casualty loss. However, if you get paid latter, then you would need to report that as income due to the tax benefit rule.

Why have they not paid yet?

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney