Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm trying to find out how to ask a question about whether I…

Customer Question
I'm trying to find...

I'm trying to find out how to ask a question about whether I must pay California State taxes.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have a permanent residence in Washington State. I work contract in the SF Bay Area and do not maintain my own home here. This job is not entirely remote so I do spend a lot of time onsite.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I just want to know if California expects me to pay California state taxes when I have a Washington State DL, a permanent residence in Seattle and do not rent or own a home in California.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/29/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

CA requires non-residents to file a CA state tax return on income from California sources.

Based on the information you provided, you will report the CA sourced income on a CA nonresident return and pay any taxes which are due.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Hi Barbara, thank you. My employer is a contract agency whose corporate offices are in Washington, however. Perhaps I should have mentioned that. Some of my work is also done remotely. (This is a new position that will affect the next tax year.)

Thank you for the additional important information.

Give me a few moments to research this further based on this additional information.

For a trade or business owned by a nonresident (i.e., sole proprietorship) that operates both within and outside California, only income from the part conducted in California is California source income.