Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question about tax exemption for sale of a house. I…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a question about tax exemption for sale of a house

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I bought the house in April 2011, and lived in it (renting a room) till Nov Sept 2015. I then completely rented it till Nov 2017, when I sold it. Can I claim an exemption?

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Tax
3/29/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 23 days ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

To satisfy for section 121 exclusion

See IRS publication 523

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf

page 3 - Eligibility Step 3—Residence

Determine whether you meet the residence requirement. If you owned the home and used it as your residence for at least 24 months of the previous 5 years, you meet the residence requirement. The 24 months of residence can fall anywhere within the 5-year period, and it doesn't have to be a single block of time.

All that is required is a total of 24 months (730 days) of residence during the 5-year period.

.

So far we need to consider 5 years before the sale - from Nov 2012 till Nov 2017

and during that period you meet the residence requirement.

Therefore - you may use that exclusion.

However - that exclusion may not be applied to accumulated depreciation - and the part of your gain up to depreciation allowed or allowable may not be excluded and will be taxable.

Questions?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
My accountant is insisting that I cannot claim the exemption, because I was not living in the house when I sold it. She claims that the house has to be my primary residence when I'm selling it for any of this to apply. Can you double-check/verify with another pro? I'll pay for another question.

I provided above exact reference to the IRS publication.

You may print that publication or just that one page and provide to your accountant.

I hope she will change her position.

The IRS clearly said - All that is required is a total of 24 months (730 days) of residence during the 5-year period.

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 18 days ago

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor